Sunday 3 July 2011

Busrides, Bath, and Big Stones

So this weekend has been a little crazy as seen through my lack of blogging...oops.  Don't worry I'll catch y'all up though in no time!  Friday was one long longgggg day.  We headed out on our day trip to the city of Bath and to visit Stonehenge around 10 which was much better than 8:30.  The bus ride however was a lot longer than it was to Oxford.  I slept most of the way because I was really tired and there is literally nothing between London and Bath.  It was 2 hours of rolling hills and fields but don't get me wrong they were beautiful.  Here's a little glimpse...

But this picture honestly does it no justice.  Anyway we finally got to Bath and the city was gorgeous!  All the buildings in Bath are made from limestone and they all blend together so beautifully.  The architecture and detail on the buildings here amaze me every time we go somewhere new because they are all so pretty.  Once we got into Bath, we ate lunch at this little Italian bakery and it was delicious.  We took a tour of the Roman baths after lunch and it was really cool.  The engineering work that the Romans did in this bathing complex was insane.  I was amazed at how smart they were and at how well preserved a lot of it still was.  The complex was beautiful as well.  I really like Roman history thanks to learning about it in high school, nerd I know haha, so it was really cool walking through and seeing things made by them.  The entire complex is actually 20 feet below ground too because later peoples have built up over it.  Here's a couple shots from the baths...

 View from above
Flatmates in front of the hot springs


We even got to drink the "healing" mineral water that so many people traveled to Bath for because it was said to have sacred healing power.  It was warm and tasted really minerally but I'd like to think that it has kept me healthy the past couple days haha.  We had a walking tour of the city after the Roman baths by the tour guide that was with us the whole day and it was really cool to walk around and see what else was in the city.  After the walking tour, we explored all the streets and shoped some as well.  I didn't find anything yet again but my lack of luck with shopping has definitely saved me money so I can't complain too much.  I did split a piece of Coffee Walnut fudge with one of my friends and it was well worth the 2 pounds.  We headed to Stonehenge after our day in Bath because we had a priveate veiwing after hours at 8:30.

We got to Stonehenge like 45 minutes early because there was no traffic so we had to sit around there for a little bit because only 30 people can view Stonehenge at a time.  It literally is in the middle of nowhere though.  There was nothing around beside farmlands and honestly it was really kinda random.  She gave us a history of Stonehenge on the way but I was really tired from the day so I didn't really get too much of it.  I know the stones were brought from really far away and weigh a lot but I didn't get too much other than that...oops haha.  It was really cool though and seeing it while the sun was setting was awesome.  We got some great pictures so that was really fun too!


After playing with the stones and taking lots of pictures, we loaded back on the bus for the longest bus ride everrrrrrrrr.  We didn't get back to our flat until 12:30 when we left Stonehenge at 9:15.  There was SO much traffic in London because there was a Black Eyed Peas concert that night in Hyde park and we just happen to come back when it was done.  Sitting on a bus stuck in traffic is really fun let me tell you.  I've never been so happy to get off a bus and get back to the flat.  Traffic here is insane and I literally have no idea how people here deal with it.  O well I only have like 4 more weeks of stupid traffic so I don't really care.  O and if y'all think Atlanta traffic is bad, Atlanta has nothing on London whatsoever.  We headed to bed soon after we got home because we were going to get up to hit up the Portobello market before the crowds.  I'll explain that whole day in my next post though.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment