Wednesday 27 July 2011

Why Can't We Find the Stupid Hotel?

After our long day on Saturday, we slept in a little bit to recover, pack-up, and eat our last free breakfast at the hotel.  After breakfast, we headed over to Hyde Park to find the Peter Pan Statue and the Princess Diana memorial.  This was a bit of a task because the park is so big and the maps were a really confusing so after about 30 minutes of walking, we finally found the memorial.  It was in a really pretty part of the park and it was really nice outside so I enjoyed walking around.  After we frolicked through Hyde Park, we went back to the hotel to grab our bags to take them to the new hotel that my parents would be staying at the rest of this week.  We rolled through streets with our bags and finally came to the area that the hotel was in...the only problem was, we couldn't find the actual hotel.  We spent about 20 minutes looking for it until we finally called them for directions.  We finally found it after some yelling but we later found out that we had the wrong address.  We actually passed it on the street but we didn't recognize it because there was no really big sign.  It was all ok though because we found it and it was worth the wait!  It was really nice so I was really jealous when I had to go back to my flat.

 Princess Diana Memorial in Hyde Park

Pretty part of Hyde Park

Peter Pan Statue in Hyde Park

After waiting about 15 minutes to check-in, we found out that their room wasn't ready yet because we were there 30 minutes before check-in time.  So we left our bags locked at the front desk and headed to the Spitafield Market.  This market is in the financial district of the city and is basically filled with stalls of clothing, jewelry, and other little trinkets.  I have been there once before for a short time before we went to Windsor but I wanted to go back to see if I could find anything.  We ended up wandering around there for a couple of hours and the only thing we found was lunch haha.  My dad took a seat while me and my mom wandered around and there was nothing really that caught my eye.  We did get an amazing lunch of falafel on a bunch of different salads and slaws.  It was SO good!  I was so full after though because of all the veggies.

We wandered through the financial district to the Tower Bridge after the fail at the market and it was kind of creepy walking through because the streets were literally dead.  No one works down there on the weekends so this part of town basically has no life on the weekends.  We finally made it to the Tower Bridge and we went up to the top.  I was kind of underwhelmed because the upper part of the bridge was glassed-in and there was not much to the exhibits.  It was cool to learn about the bridge but I got super tired all the sudden when we were there so I was kind of struggling.

View of London from the top of the Tower Bridge

After the Tower Bridge, we wandered down the River Thames to Tate Modern Museum because we thought that it was open till 10 pm every night.  Since we though it was open till 10, we took our sweet little time because we really couldn't go any faster either haha.  The weather was great so it was really relaxing to just mosey along the river.  We finally made it to Tate to find out that they are only open till 10 pm on Friday and Saturday.  They close at 6 pm every other day and it was 5:30 when we got there...so we had a quick viewing of the museum.  It ended up being fine though because there was really only so much modern art that my parents could take and that we could see.  We did get to see a painting by Jackson Polluck who is one of my favorite artists and we got to see some paintings be Picasso and Monet so it was well worth it.

 Tate Modern outside

Jackson Polluck painting!

After closing down Tate, we headed back to the hotel to find a place to eat.  We decided on a place that we had a coupon for.  It was a little interesting getting there because we had to take a bus there since the trains that went close to the restaurant were all closed.  We had to wait awhile for the bus but it finally came and we made it safe and sound.  The meal wasn't that great though so that was disappointing.  We then went back and parted ways since I was going back to sleep at my flat the rest of the week.  I was SO tired that night it was ridiculous.  I think I went to bed at 11:30 because I was so tired and that is very rare for me because I'm such a night person.  My parents wore me out but it was definitely worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment