Monday 25 July 2011

Why is This Train Station So Confusing?

Our first day of class last week was Thursday and boy was it interesting trying to get there.  But before class, my parents arrived!  They came to our flat before we left for class because there flight got in at 6:30 and they couldn't check into their hotel until around noon so they hung out at our place until then.  It was SO great to see them and I was super excited that they finally got here because I was excited fro them to see the city that I've been living in and fallen in love with.

Our class was at 10 as usual and we left around 9:30 to hit up Starbucks and hop on the Tube.  Coffee was much needed that morning from going to bed at 2 am the night before.  We got on the Tube as usual but we had to wait forever for a train which was frustrating because we were already crunched for time.  There was a big group of us though so if we were going to be late we were all going to be late together.  So we finally got a train and went one stop because we had to switch at the next station.  The station we had to switch at is the most confusing station there is because signs on the platforms don't always match the trains.  The train drivers that day decided to totally confuse us because they didn't even know where they were going.  It was like they were just deciding where they wanted to go...so not ok.  So we switched platforms like 2 times and the announcements completely confused everyone so we ended up losing half of our group on a train that was going the wrong way.  A group of us got on the right train but it didn't leave the platform for like 10 minutes so needless to say we were late...very late.  We walked into class around 10:35 and there were like 4 people there.  Everyone walked in late that day so it didn't really matter and come to find out later that there were delays on the Tube lines we were riding on.

We listened to presentations that morning on things or places that people researched and they were interesting.   After about 30 minutes, we got out of class early because we had nothing else to do.  The only other thing we had that day was a ride on the London Eye at 2 so we had a good chunk of time to do something before we had to meet at 1:15.  Since we had time, we decided to head to the Borough Market to grab lunch and walk around.  This is one of if not my favorite market in London because it's all food.  All the food is delicious and they let you try everything!  If I already explained this sorry but I honestly don't remember.  We wandered around there for like 30 minutes because that's about all the time we had.  The market is on the other side of town so a lot of our time was lost traveling.  Here's just a peek at what I got and what it looks like...
 Entrance to the Market

Veggie Burger with salad and slaw yummmm

We made it back to meet the group right on time just to ride the Tube basically back to where we just were...frustrating.  I didn't really enjoy being treated like I was five again though because we literally had to go and do everything as a group.  I understand since it was for our class but at the same time, I'm 21 years old so I'm pretty sure I can find the London Eye on my own.

Anyway we walked from the Tube to the London Eye and then waited in the que for about 30 minutes.  We finally got on and it was awesome!  The views were amazing and it was really cool to see London from all different views.  I thought I might get a little scared since it was all glass but the views of the city were so great that I didn't even think about it.  The view of Parliament and Big Ben was amazing so we took lots and lots of pictures.  Here are a few...

 London Eye from across the river

 One of my roommates and I on Westminster Bridge on our way to ride!

View of Big Ben and Parliament from the top

After our trip around the London Eye, I headed back to the flat to meet up with my parents at their hotel since I didn't really get to see them when they came in the morning.  The hotel that they were staying at was a short walk from my flat so I headed over to met them so we could hang out and plan out what we wanted to do.  We hung out at the hotel for a little bit and then we headed down to Parliament and the River Thames so that they could see the city and get their bearings a little bit.  It was really nice to walk along the river and point things out to them.  We walked along a part that I hadn't yet so it was nice to see another part of the city.  We walked from Big Ben to St. Paul's and then headed back to grab some dinner because everything was closed and they were really tired from getting like no sleep the night before.  We went to this place called Nando's and it was SO good.  I would definitely recommend it if you ever come to London and it was just what we needed after a long day.  After dinner, we parted ways after planning out when we would meet up on the next day after class.  It was kind of a long day but it would prove to be nothing compared to the next couple days that I had coming up...

No comments:

Post a Comment