Sunday 3 July 2011

The Sidewalks Here Literally Hate Me

So the reason for my title is because literally everyday that I walk around this city, I trip at least once.  The sidewalks are so incredibly uneven here it's ridiculous and for some reason I just have a talent of hitting all the cracks and crevices perfectly.  One of my friends and I started counting how many times we trip everyday and the more we trip the better luck we have.  So the past 2 days have been very lucky because I have been tripping like it's my job haha.

Anyway, Saturday was another jam packed day of activities around the city.  We hit up the Portobello Market for my 3rd time and it was nuts.  I've never seen so many people on such a small street with so many things for sale.  We wanted to get there at 9 before the crowds hit but we didn't make it till 10 unfortunately so it was insane.  All the vendors and stores on the market were open because Saturday is the busiest day and boy I would believe it.  I've never seen so much jewelry, produce, and clothing in such a small space at one time.  The only thing I ended up buy was fruit though because I was so overwhelmed and nothing really caught my eye.  We only lasted about an hour because me and my friend that went were wayyy over it by then.  We really wanted to go to Anthropologie anyway so we headed out to go and find it.

There are 2 Anthropologies in London so we decided to go to the one on King's Road because we haven't been to that area of town yet.  We didn't really know exactly where it was so it took a little exploration and asking to find it but it was fine because the area we ended up in was Chelsea.  The area of Chelsea was really nice and pretty so it was fun to walk around there.  There was a lot of shopping on King's Street as well when we finally found it and it shockingly wasn't too crowded.  We finally found the Anthropologie and it was definitely one of the best shopping experiences that I've had since I've been here.  The store was beautiful and actually clean with no clothes all over the floor and people bumping into you every other second.  I ended up finding a couple of things so it was a successful shopping trip.  After Anthro, we grabbed Subway and hoped on the Tube to meet up with some of our other friends at the Tower of London.

We then toured around the Tower of London for about 2 hours and it was great!  It was kind of expensive but definitely worth the money if you really like history.  We got to see the crown jewels and they were ridiculously cool.  We couldn't take pictures otherwise they would be posted here.  We had a free one hour tour and it was really helpful because it gave us a lot of history of the place and let me tell you there is a LOT of history that surrounds it.  The Tower has been a prison, a place to hold exotic animals that were gifts to the royal family from other countries, a residence for the royal family, a place to hold the crown jewels, and a place were a lot of people were killed.  Henry VIII's wives were held an killed there just to name a few.  The whole complex is huge so if you go, definitely allow yourself at least 2 hours to see it.  After being studious and learning about history, we headed back to get ready to head out for the night.  We went to this place called Proud and it was a renovated stable house so it was pretty cool.  It was just fun to hang out with everyone from the trip since we don't really have the opportunity too during the week.  I definitely crashed when we got back around 1 because I was pooped for the day and we had another jam packed day planned for Sunday.  Windsor Castle here we come!  Cheers!

 Part of the Tower of London from the Outside

 Part of the group in front of the building that houses the Crown Jewels

No comments:

Post a Comment