Sunday 3 July 2011

But My Friends Are on that Train!

Last post for now thank goodness because I'm getting tired of typing haha.  Today was another day full of London sightseeing and activities all well worth it.  I got up this morning and checked out the Spitafield market with a couple of my friends because Sunday is the best day to go and I didn't know if I would be able to go again.  This market was downtown in the financial district and was mostly clothes and accessories.  It was really cool to see all the handmade stuff but a lot of it has come to look the same as the other markets so I didn't really see anything that screamed "Buy me!"  Again saving me money haha.  I was only there for about an hour though because I had to come back and meet some other girls to travel to Windsor Castle today.

We ventured out of our flat around noon and traveled to the Paddington Station to catch a National Rail train because that was the only way to get there.  That train station was SUPER confusing though because we had to like switch trains to finally get to Windsor and none of the signs really said that.  The platforms were also super confusing and there were tons of people around as well.  We got our tickets around 5 minutes before the next train to get to Windsor was supposed to leave so we were kind of frantic and didn't know whether to get on that train or wait for the next one.  Well we decided to try to get on and 5 out of 7 of us did.  I however was not one of them.  My ticket wouldn't work for some reason so me and another girl got caught at the gate and the other girls ran and got on the train thinking we were right behind them...we weren't haha.  We finally got on the platform but couldn't get on the train because according to the mean woman who was standing right next to the train and could have definitely let us on, she said the doors are closed so there was nothing she could do.  So so dumb.  I almost started crying because we didn't know what we were doing and the dumb woman was being rude and not helpful.  So basically we watched the train pull off with our friends on it...fun feeling let me tell you.

So after we got left by accident, we went and grabbed lunch for the train and waited for the next one.  Thankfully we found a nice old man who worked there to help us so we found our way there safe and sound.  I'm just glad I wasn't left alone, otherwise there would have definitely been tears.  We meet up with the other girls at Windsor which is only like a 30 minute train ride from the city.  The city was huge and so pretty!  I was shocked when we pulled into the station because I literally thought it was just the castle and not an actual town.

We took a tour of the city after we all met up and it was so cool!  It is definitely worth going to see and I would highly recommend going if you're ever in  London.  There is so much history there and it was really cool seeing all of it because I had no idea!  It is the oldest castle with people still living in it today because I'm pretty sure people have been living there the past 800 years.  It's one of the residencies of the queen as well.  Apparently it's one of her favorites and I could see why because it was huge and very beautiful.  It's not just a castle either, it's a huge complex of buildings that even include a church.  The royal staterooms were definitely the coolest part though because we got to see how ornate and over the top the royal family lived.  Everything was beautiful and so full of detail and I had no idea that any of it was there so I definitely enjoyed it!

 One of the entrances to the castle

 The whole group

 Another view of part of the castle

After frolicking around the castle for a couple hours, we wandered around the cute little town.  We got ice cream at this place there and it was SO nomolicious.  We continued to wander around there for a little bit longer and then we caught the train back to London around 5 because we needed to get back because a lot of us had a lot to do.  I went on a much needed run through Regents Park when we got back and it was so nice because the weather was beautiful today.  Since then I've been doing lots of things that I've been meaning to do for awhile and we're trying to plan out stuff for our trip to Barcelona this weekend as well.  I'm so excited for Spain it's not even funny!  I just have to get through 3 days of work first but it won't be bad so I'm not worried.  Well I'm really tired of typing and I need to move on and check something else off my list so until tomorrow!  Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment