Sunday 31 July 2011

Where Did All This Stuff Come From?

Thursday was my last full day in London and it was definitely a bittersweet one.  As I'm sitting here writing this, I honestly can't believe that I have gone to London for 6 weeks and already come back.  The time flew by so fast that it almost seems like it didn't happen.  The saying is definitely true, time really does fly when you're having fun.

I woke up to go for my last run in Regent's Park because I wanted to say my goodbyes to the park that became so near and dear to my heart.  It was more of a walk/run because I was really tired but I just had to go one last time.  The park is so pretty and unfortunately I never got pictures of it because I never brought my camera when I was there.  After my run, I headed back and got ready for the day.  I was going to meet my parents at Harrods since they hadn't seen it yet and do a little last minute shopping.  My parents were heading to Cool Britannia because they wanted to get some souvenirs before we met up but I was ready before them so I decided to head to Primark and give it one last chance.  My experience in Primark was SO much better this time it's not even funny.  I could actually find my size in what I wanted, there weren't as many people, and the store wasn't in complete chaos so it was definitely a much better shopping experience.  The que for the fitting room was still super long though but I had to try on some pants so I waited in it.  I ended up having success and got 3 shirts for only 28 GBP!  My parents were ready to meet me when I was in the fitting room so I did the best I could to meet up with them as quickly as I could.  I probably looked like a crazy person going through the Tube because I was like running through the 3 different stations that I had to go through.

I finally found them in Harrods and thankfully they weren't mad because they were just wandering around in the food halls looking for gifts for people.  We wandered around there for a little bit but then had to go grab lunch and head over to Buckingham Palace because we had a tour of it at 2:30.  We went to Pret for the last time because I wanted to get my favorite salad.  I liked it so much that I even documented it but I won't bore y'all with anymore food pictures.  Since we wanted to get over to Buckingham Palace, we took our food on the Tube and then picnicked in Green Park.  It was nice to eat outside and enjoy the beautiful weather that we had that day.  After our picnic, we headed over to the Palace to pick up our tickets that we had pre-booked.  The ques weren't too bad to get in and we actually got to go in before 2:30.  We got an audio tour for this as well which was definitely very informative and helpful.

When we walked in the Palace, I immediately fell in love with it.  Buckingham Palace is one of the most beautiful places that I've ever been and I would have loved to grow up and live there just like every other person in the world haha.  Touring Buckingham Palace was one of my favorite things that I did in London so if you are there when the Palace is open, you have to go because it's amazing.  We got to see a collection of Faberge eggs and other items made by them that had been collected by generations of the Royal Family.  Faberge was so incredibly talented and his items were gorgeous.  I really enjoyed seeing them but it was nothing compared to seeing Kate wedding dress.  That dress was amazing!  Words can't even describe how incredible seeing this dress and hearing about how it was made.  Literally ever single aspect and detail of her dress was specifically designed and planned to look the way that it did.  They told how many different laces were in the dress and how it was made as well.  The needles that attached the lace to the dress had to be changed every 3 hours so that they wouldn't be dull...that's crazy!  That is just one of the small details that helped make the dress what it turned out to be.  Seeing her dress was definitely my favorite part of the tour but that's probably only because I'm really interested in fashion and I'm a girl.  The rest of the Palace is amazing so don't just think it's about her dress.  We also got to see their wedding cake which was also ridiculously detailed and amazing.  We couldn't take pictures inside sadly but here are a few of the outside...

 Front of Buckingham Palace

 Closer View of the Front

Gates at the Front

We spent almost 2 hours at Buckingham Palace and then we headed off to get some cookies from Ben's Cookies.  My parents wanted to try them so we went and got a box.  They were just as good this time as they were when I got one a couple weeks ago.  We then headed back so that I could begin my packing process and boy was it a process.  I hate packing in general but having to pack my huge suitcase back with only 1 pound of leeway was quite the challenge considering that I couldn't remember what I packed in it on the way over.  Once I started packing, I kept finding things that I forgot about and they kept adding up.  I don't know where it all came from haha.  I really didn't buy that much though so it wasn't a problem.  I packed most of my big suitcase and one of the carryon suitcases before I met my parents for dinner so that they could take them back with them to the hotel room since we were leaving from the station near their hotel.  We had dinner at Nando's again because we loved it so much and then they came back and helped me pack and clean up the flat some.  I ended up giving them one small suitcase and my big one so that I wouldn't have to drag them through the Tube at 6:45 the next morning.  After they left, I cleaned a little and then hung out with my friends for awhile since it was our last night.  We threw literally everything out because we couldn't leave anything.  It was a shame because we had a lot of food but we didn't really have a choice.  I got everything ready for the morning so I wouldn't have to do much the next morning because I knew that I wouldn't be too functional at 6 am.

Saying goodbye to all my friends was really hard though.  We had all become really close and it was sad because after leaving, it would never be the same.  It wasn't goodbye though because I know that I will hang out with them in Athens and I'm actually really excited because we will be in our element in Athens and actually know what we are doing haha.  It has kinda stunk being away from them but we will all be back in Athens together soon so it's all good!  I finally went to bed around 1 so I knew that the next day was going to be a day full of coffee and boy was it a longgg day but I'll tell y'all about that in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment