Tuesday 19 July 2011

Department Stores Here are Heaven...and Dangerous haha

The past 2 days I have not had to go into the studio because my boss wanted me to go out and do research for her.  She wanted me to experience the big department stores in London as well as do personal research for her.  I'm sure a lot of y'all have heard of at least one of the big department stores here in London but I'll give them all to you because I didn't even know about most of them since they are not in the US at all.  The stores that I visited were Harrods, Harvey Nichols, Liberty of London, and Selfridges.  I also went to a department-type store, if you even want to call it that, called the Dover Street Market.

The first of the stores that I visited was Harrods.  This is the store that a lot of y'all have heard about because it is world famous for luxury shopping.  This store is HUGE!  It has 5 floors with a ground floor and lower ground floor and covers over 4.5 acres with its sales floor.  15 million people visit Harrods every year...thats crazy.  This store has everything from fresh foods to restaurants to handbags to a pet shop and even to furniture and rugs.  Literally I got lost for about 2 hours haha.  It's a maze though so unless you know what you're looking for, plan to get lost at least once and spend about 3 hours in the store.  It was so fun to wander around though because they had so many different products and items from high end designers and lower end designers as well.  I wandered into a room filled with Alice and Olivia, Tibi, and Milly and I was in trouble.  The clothing was so pretty and of course I wanted it but of course it was too expensive...shock.  Maybe one day but that day wasn't yesterday so I just kept moving along.  Harrods also has a Laduree shop inside it which is the same place that I got my life-changing macaroon in Paris so I will be taking my parents there when they get there so they can experience Harrods and have a life-changing macaroon.

Harrods

Anyway, I really enjoyed walking around as you can tell but then I headed over to Harvey Nichols which was only a short walk up the street.  This store was a little smaller big still massive.  The store was set up differently than Harrods but still really cool.  Out of all the department stores, I probably liked Harvey Nichols the least though.  It seemed kind of crammed and the way that it was set up was not my personal preference.  I wandered around there for about an hour and then headed to grab lunch.  It was cool to see how each of the department stores were laid out and compare though.  Each store had a very different sales floor layout and placed different designers in different rooms and near different other designers.  It all depends on who's in charge and who they are trying to attract I guess.

Selfridges was the next store on my list and I loved it!  It was a lot more upbeat than Harvey Nichols and they actually carried brands that have their own stores like TopShop and All Saints.  It was cool having them all together on one floor but very dangerous because I wanted to buy everything again.  Shockingly I did not buy one thing yesterday or today so mom you should be proud!  I will make a little side note and say that I will be taking my parents to all these stores when they get here though haha.

Liberty of London was the last of my regular department store adventures and I really liked it too.  It was in a very old looking building and thats because it has been there since around the 1840s!  It first opened as a fabric store and became known as one of the most fashionable places to shop in London in the late 1800s.  It has been there since or so I assume from the squeaky floors and old looking decor haha.  The store was beautiful though.  They had a smaller selection as well but that's because it was a smaller store and I think they pick and choose who they carry very selectively to continue on the Liberty shopping experience.  I definitely want to go back there for sure because it is a really cool part of London in my opinion.

 Outside of Liberty

 Quote I stumbled upon on one of the walls inside the store

Open area in the inside of the store

The last stop on my research was the Dover Street Market.  Don't let the name trick you though because it's definitely not a market.  It was more of an art gallery layout than anything with very high-end clothing and designers scattered throughout the various floors of the building.  I honestly don't know what to call it because I was really confused walking around it.  They had some really really expensive brands but they also had some really weird clothing like really weird clothing.  Needless to say I felt out of place and wouldn't shop there because it's not my personal style and I can't afford any of it haha.  It was a cool experience though so I enjoyed it.

The rest of my last 2 days were filled with running errands.  I got groceries for the week and got some stuff for the schoolwork that I have to get done by the end of the week wahoo.  Not looking forward to schoolwork at all especially since my parents are coming on Thursday.  I have to give a presentation with one of my roommates on our trip to Paris, compile a portfolio of all the activities that I have done since I've been here, and compile a journal on the internship that I'm doing.  Our presentation is due Thursday, portfolio due Friday, and our journal is not due till next Thursday and we have class all those days as well.  I want to get it all done asap because my parents will be here till we come back next Friday and I want to be able to spend time with them and my friends without having to worry about schoolwork.  O school how you ruin everything...not really because I don't want to graduate haha.  I'm going into work as usual tomorrow and then we have class on Thursday at 10.  We give our presentation on Thursday but it won't be bad because it's a max of 5 min.  We then are going to ride the London Eye that afternoon and then my parents are coming!  I'm so excited for my parents to come because I'm really starting to miss them and I want them to be able to see the city because I think they will love it!  I have a lot to get done before then though so pray that I will be able to get it all done.  My night will be filled with school, school, and more school.  I'm hoping to watch the Bachelorette haha but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment